Monday, March 2, 2009

Return Trip by Steve Bristol



Hello everyone...
I have a story I would like to share. As some of you may know, last week I paid a visit to Chachangsao. I stayed one night at the Wangtara and toasted all of you with a Singha beer. Unfortunately I had to drink it alone because I think I was the only one staying at the hotel (same employees and they all say HI) The next morning I was picked up by Fai and her family. You may remember her as she was one of the translators in the dispensing area. I stayed with her family for most of last week and was able to experience real Thailand. It was a great experience and a lot of fun.

The day they picked me up I spent the day at the school all of the students and teachers came from. They were asking about all of you. I have to tell you that their experience with the GOS team was something they will never forget and their lives were changed because of it and all of you. I met with the school director and we are working on setting up an exchange program with a school in my area (Connecticut) for the month of April. I’ll let you know how that works out.

During the week I flew to Udon Thani for two days to visit Heather and Theun. I met with them, the Lions, and the bank regarding fundraising for the “Lions Fund for Orphans” project. I will tell you more about that at another time.

On Saturday (Feb 7) we went to a festival in Chachoengsao. I met Fai’s uncle John who is an English teacher so it was great talking with him. As a teacher, he knows many people and I think I met everyone at the festival. At one point I met a very nice older gentleman who was a friend of his. The man asked him who I was. John explained to him about the GOS mission. The man’s face lit up and he proceeded to tell John that he got his glasses from the clinic and that I was the one who gave them to him at dispensing. Well he grabbed my hand and started shaking it and wouldn’t let go. I pretty much melted on the spot. If anyone thinks that the GOS missions don’t change lives, remember and share this story. Here is one life that was changed and he will forever be grateful. I saw him several more times over the course of the festival and each time he came back over to me to thank me for his glasses.



Well I just wanted to thank you all again for the great mission experience in Thailand and to share this story with you. I am currently slated to participate in a Onesight mission this year in August in South Africa. I look forward to hearing your mission stories this year and will share mine in return. I know that John Broaddus is currently in Payao Thailand along with Heather and Theun on a GOS mission.

Blessings

Steve Bristol

No comments: